Established by Moravian missionaries in 1831, Hebron was an effort to colonize and convert the nomadic Inuit population in the area. The predominant feature of the village, the Mission House, was used as a combination church, school and living area and was built with materials shipped in from Europe. As such, it was one of the first pre-fabricated buildings on the continent.
The inhabitants of Hebron were relocated to other communities along the Labrador Coast in 1959 and since then, many of the smaller buildings in the village have collapsed or near collapse. The main mission house has been renovated to prevent further deterioration and the area is infrequently visited by Inuit and tourists from cruise ships.